An Estimating Tool to Compare Payback of LED Lighting
Enter the wattage and life for both the old and new fixture and the billing rate per kilowatt-hour.
Be sure to include all costs, i.e. labor, parts, inventory, travel, fuel, equipment, etc. Light levels are NOT calculated or suggested.
Start with the Tab key, fill in shaded cells and/or step forward with
Tab; step backward with Shift Tab.
1. Compute kilowatts (kW) saved by upgrading to LED technology.
Original Fixture Wattage + Ballast
Watts Saved per Fixture
# of Fixtures to Replace
8000 W 8 kW
2. Compute kilowatt hours (kWh) saved and tons of CO2 production saved annually.
Hours of Use per Day
Days of Use per Week
Weeks of Use per Year
3. Compute power cost savings per year.
of CO2 production *
kWh Saved per Year
Cost Per kWh (typically $0.10)
4. Compute power cost savings and saved CO2 production over life of the LEDs.
Replacement LED Life (hours)
Hours per Year Usage
LED Est. Life
Annual Power Cost Savings
Lifetime Power Cost Savings
LED lifetime CO2 savings *
5. Compute payback from power cost savings.
LED Cost is the amount used to calculate payback. It may be the direct cost if retrofit, or may be the cost
between the LED and the fixture it substitutes if a new installation. This entry should include all installation costs.
(Enter LED Cost)
Payback From Power Savings
LED Cost, or Diff. between LED & Original
× 50 Lights
Power Cost Savings per Year
6. Compute maintenance savings during life of the LEDs. Include labor, equipment, fuel, parts, inventory, etc.
LED Life (hours)
Original Fixture Life (hours)
# of Fixtures
Maint Labor Original Fixture
Maint. Parts Original Fixture
7. Compute the amortized changeout cost savings per year.
Total Lifetime Replacement Cost Savings
Lifetime of Replacement Fixture
Total Amortized Savings per Year
Simple Payback on Power Consumption And Maintenance Costs
Initial Cost of Upgrade
Power + Maintenance Cost Savings
USE THE BACK BUTTON TO RETURN TO THE MAIN SITE
*US national average CO2 emissions caused by various power generation capabilities, value provided by the US EPA.